Thursday, December 14, 2006

Thoughts on The Holiday

Ok, so let me tell you about last week, working backwards chronologically. On Friday, my Dad told me that a friend of the family has terminal cancer of the colon and liver. With chemo, they give him two years. Without chemo, they give him nine months.

On Thursday, I attended a meeting that was also attended by a woman whose son is facing the death penalty in a neighboring county.

Also on Thursday, a friend told me that her son had planned to kill himself. It didn't happen, and he is now getting psychiatric treatment.

On Wednesday, I found out that my Little Brother's uncle died.

Tragedy and tough situations have been following me around lately (and I didn't even mention this week), so by the time last Friday night rolled around, I was ready to go see a sweet, fun movie with my wife.

Enter The Holiday.

Yes, it's a "chick flick." Yes, it's kind of corny. But I really, really liked this movie. I can't watch these kinds of films all the time, but this was good timing for one like this.

Here's the quick summary. Iris (Kate Winslet) and Amanda (Cameron Diaz) are losers in love in Surrey, U.K., and LA, respectively. Amanda finds Iris on a "home exchange" website, and they both decide to get away from it all by switching houses.

While in the U.K., Amanda meets Graham (Jude Law), Iris's brother, and in LA, Iris meets Miles (Jack Black). From there, the two stories go back and forth. Hilarity ensues. There is a twist with Graham that is particularly touching for guys like me. (Can't say much more than that or I'd risk giving it away.)

Black handles his role here superbly. He dials it back a bit from his typical act, but his signature zaniness is still present. And Diaz does some great slapstick.

For a nice night at the movies, I highly recommend The Holiday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home