Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Race matters: Rebuilding the neighborhood

Today I was in Alison Hill, one of Harrisburg's tougher neighborhoods, which is mostly minority. I was there for work purposes and walked 13th Street between Market and Derry and walked both Derry and Market for a few blocks.

Along the way, I passed multiple construction sites. These were sites where old homes were being restored. I probably saw at least a dozen workers over the course of 2 or 3 sites, but only one of those workers was a minority.

Something about that just strikes me as odd. Where are the minority workers?

On a related note, I had to chuckle a bit when I stopped at the laundromat at 13th and Derry to post a flyer and saw a travel advertisement in Spanish. The flier showed pictures of white people vacationing at Disney World, the beach, and a ski resort. Come on, man, please do not insult our intelligence. Folks in that neighborhood are working hard just to be sure that there is food on the table next week. They're not thinking about Disney World. When we lived in the city, I don't recall any of our neighbors going to Disney World or some posh ski resort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home