Wednesday, January 04, 2006

King George: I'll follow the law...if I feel like it

Just when you think it can't get any worse, it gets worse.

Today the Boston Globe revealed that President Bush added a signing statement, a little-known presidential power, to the signing of the defense budget bill, which included the McCain amendment against torture. A signing statement is a public record of the president's interpretation of a law. I'm sure you see where this is going.

From the Globe article:
''The executive branch shall construe [the law] in a manner consistent with the constitutional authority of the President . . . as Commander in Chief," Bush wrote, adding that this approach ''will assist in achieving the shared objective of the Congress and the President . . . of protecting the American people from further terrorist attacks."

Here is one administration official's take on it:
''We are not going to ignore this law," the official said, noting that Bush, when signing laws, routinely issues signing statements saying he will construe them consistent with his own constitutional authority. ''We consider it a valid statute. We consider ourselves bound by the prohibition on cruel, unusual, and degrading treatment."

But, the official said, a situation could arise in which Bush may have to waive the law's restrictions to carry out his responsibilities to protect national security. (my bold)

In other words, it's my empire, and I'll torture if I want to.

For further translation...
David Golove, a New York University law professor who specializes in executive power issues, said that the signing statement means that Bush believes he can still authorize harsh interrogation tactics when he sees fit.

''The signing statement is saying 'I will only comply with this law when I want to, and if something arises in the war on terrorism where I think it's important to torture or engage in cruel, inhuman, and degrading conduct, I have the authority to do so and nothing in this law is going to stop me,' " he said. ''They don't want to come out and say it directly because it doesn't sound very nice, but it's unmistakable to anyone who has been following what's going on."

And, finally, before I go gouge my eyes out:
Legal academics and human rights organizations said Bush's signing statement and his stance on the wiretapping law are part of a larger agenda that claims exclusive control of war-related matters for the executive branch and holds that any involvement by Congress or the courts should be minimal.

Vice President Dick Cheney recently told reporters, ''I believe in a strong, robust executive authority, and I think that the world we live in demands it. . . . I would argue that the actions that we've taken are totally appropriate and consistent with the constitutional authority of the president."

I saw that movie!
"The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the Council permanently, the last remnants of the old Republic have been swept away."

2 Comments:

At 9:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I have that 'ole B-day song stuck in my head with new words (was that your intention?)...It's my empire and I'll torture if I want to, torture if I want to...that will probably never go away, thanks.
They wanted to impeach Clinton over cigars yet they let Bozo the Bush be King. Is it just me?

 
At 10:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

On second thought-
Bush is not very bright, has never been a go-to man, has never been successful at anything, always has to have someone bale him out of trouble, he's been spoon fed- he has none of the charachteristics of a leader. He cannot seem to rule without a dictator image of himself. A stronger, better
(wo)man would be able to inspire the nation without lies and cheating and back door games. That is kind of sad and it is making me kind of pitty him (yikes).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home