Saturday, January 06, 2007

Race matters: Why this white guy supports affirmative action

I'm a 33-year-old white male. I grew up in the suburbs of Harrisburg with one younger sibling, and my parents' marriage is intact. If you profiled people who oppose affirmative action, I would fit the profile.

But I support it, and here's why. In light of all of the privilege I get as a white male, it doesn't bother me that in college admissions or employment, when all other factors are equal, minorities get an edge.

What would my life be like if I were a black male?

If I were a black male, I would be pulled over more. I've only been pulled over three times in my life, all deserved.

If I were a black male, clerks and security would watch me more closely in stores.

If I were a black male, women would clutch their purses when I get on to an elevator.

If I were a black male, people would look at me funny when I get on the bus.

If I were a black male, the chances would be greater that I got a sub-standard education at a "separate and unequal" public school.

We were with some friends recently who said they will give their daughter a black-sounding name to help her get into college. Too bad blacks can't name their daughters Sara Jane and then get an education at a school like Derry Township or Cumberland Valley.

When whites claim that minorities get extra privilege through affirmative action, they really need to look inward at all of the privilege they've had.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home